Kate in the Kitchen

Food talk, delicious ramblings and the evocative fare of a passionate cook

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Breakfast Talk

Breakfast. Just the name conjures up many images, scents, tastes and items. What does it make YOU think about?? And I don't mean what you normally eat for breakfast, but what does the word actually make you think of as breakfast itself?

Yesterday I had breakfast out with my sister and G-man (the nickname for my son Griffin since he was crawling around on the floor at my feet) When we go out for breakfast, I want to eat BREAKFAST! And to me, that means eggs, bacon or sausage, hash browns, toast (either traditional or French) pancakes, hot coffee and cold juice. Although, I have to clarify.....not all that in one sitting! At home when I eat breakfast, it's likely a bowl of cereal with some fruit in it, maybe an over-hard fried egg with toast, peanut butter toast with coffee, maybe some yogurt with fruit, or a smoothie made out of yogurt, fruits and protein powder. And again, I clarify.....not all this in one sitting! Lord knows I love to eat, but there are limits. Breakfast should be a substantial meal, after all you haven't put a thing in your tum-tum since dinner or your bedtime snack the night before. It should be filling and sturdy enough to get you through your morning, with a clear head and lots of energy. I'm all for breakfast reform for everyone, and don't tell me that you don't eat breakfast or you might have to hold my soapbox so I can climb up to tell you how I feel about that. I tell G-man that I am not opposed to him eating whatever strikes his fancy for his morning meal, but he does not have the option of NOT eating. So he will eat soup, leftover mac-n-cheese, a cheese quesadilla, a ham and cheese sandwich (sometimes we refer to him as Griffin McCheese due to his love of the stuff) or whatever might be in the fridge. He will once in a while eat cereal, although his tastes tend more towards the sugar stuff that is outlawed in my house, he will eat oatmeal or Bear Mush (a hot cereal similar to Malt-O-Meal) if it's made for him, and he loves scrambled eggs (with CHEESE!!!) on toast. But what he cannot do is skip the meal. The main reason is that he becomes irritatingly disobedient and defiant without proper nutrition, and the other reason is that it just doesn't make any sense. Eating good food=good productive output= happy parents and teachers. The equation is clear and everyone is happy. Yes, breakfast as a whole can mean certain items, even rituals and rules, but eating well in the morning without a fight is often the goal in our house. And as every parent knows, you need to pick your battles. Happily, he will eat if given the option of making his own choice. That for me, is a handily won battle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home