Kate in the Kitchen

Food talk, delicious ramblings and the evocative fare of a passionate cook

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tying up the veggie bundles

I spent about 4 hours yesterday helping my friend Tim who is the Executive chef at a local yacht club. It wasn’t anything special, I simply sliced carrots, blanched them and a whole pan of fresh green beans, then spent the next 2 1/2 hours tying them into little bundles with blanched green onion strips. And I did it all standing next to two oven banks and a six burner stove going full throttle, with three guys rushing by me back and forth and some indeterminate hard rock blaring from the stereo on the other side of the kitchen. But it was great, good to be doing something worthwhile, good to see my friend and good to lend a hand. I heard the phrase ‘Thank you’ directed at me yesterday more times than I could count. That’s a nice feeling. I will go back on Wednesday and Friday for more. It has been since May that I have had any reason to wear long pants and socks, and it was warm, warm, warm with an air temp outside in the 90’s and humid. But it was good be useful and to feel a little fatigue, but at the same time, that is the most effort I have put out this whole summer that I was paid for, and I am truly recognizing (and in some ways relishing) my lazy days. All too soon they will come to an end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home