Kate in the Kitchen

Food talk, delicious ramblings and the evocative fare of a passionate cook

Monday, July 24, 2006

Palak Paneer (Spinach with Indian Cheese)

I love spinach, love it a lot. In salads, as my green on a burger, cooked into my Lo Mein etc. etc. I also love this dish in the Indian restaurants I frequent so I wanted to reproduce it at home. The cheese part was easy.(see Paneer- Indian Cheese) This dish came out good, but we thought the seasoning was off. The recipe calls for cooking the spinach to a paste, which I did not do as I love the toothsome and earthy taste of spinach that is still identifiable as such. Overall, outside of the seasoning we liked it a lot. I used sour cream as the base and will try it with real cream next time. I also may resource some different recipe options to see if we can’t perfect the flavor. This recipe calls for 2 pounds of spinach, which is an extraordinary amount. I used two 9 oz. bags and it was fine. Be sure to chop it up a little to make for easier eating. I did not de-stem it.

Palak Paneer

1 lb paneer pieces

2 lb spinach

3 tablespoon onion (chopped)

2 tablespoon tomato (chopped)

2 tablespoon any cream (alternate: sour cream)

2 teaspoon garma masala powder

1 teaspoon cumin powder

½ teaspoon turmeric powder

2 tablespoon ghee or oil

Heat ghee or butter and saute onion until golden. Add spinach and cook to a paste. Add cream and spices, stir to mix and cook for several minutes. Add paneer, cook for 10 minutes to allow flavor to develop

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home