Kate in the Kitchen

Food talk, delicious ramblings and the evocative fare of a passionate cook

Sunday, July 09, 2006

The crabbies took over today, not a good food weekend

Not a big food weekend, it was really hot! Friday I wanted to make burritos but could not remember the formula for the dough to make the tortillas. Mike usually does it and he was late with a client, so G-man and I made some yummy man-n-cheese (please note: an ORGANIC variety….NOT Kraft! thank you very much!) and I had a soy chik’n patty dipped in a mix of Famous Dave’s georgia mustard and Baby Rays Honey BBQ sauce. It was food, and I wanted to eat with my chowpup so it had to be something he would want to mow through.
I spent Saturday with my family, hanging out with my Dad and seeing the swanky new library in downtown MPLS. It’s like a freaking shopping mall when you walk in the door, the thing is amazing, and they have this monstrous collection of cookbooks. My sister and I were about drooling walking through the aisle, reading title after title after title. I officailly got a major headache from cranking my head sideways to read those! Since I am not a county resident I cannot check anything out, but I took copious notes so that I can draw smoke searching the county library computers in my neck of the woods. We ate at an Irish pub in Mpls, near where my Dad lives. Nothing too exciting except my memories of times I visited there in college and drank WAY too many Black and Tans. I wanted to plow my way through their classic fish and chips but just didn’t want all that greasy food on such a HOT day, so I had a salad with beef tenderloin medallions on it. It was really good, craisins, blue cheese crumbles, toasted almonds….everything I love in a salad, especially good field greens and spinach. But I also had some Potato Leek soup that tasted like it came out of a can. Not good. Where was the leek, I kept thinking?? This tastes like Campbells Chunky…….at least it had real bacon on the top. That helped it be palatable. But yuck….Potato Leek soup can be so simple and divine. Now I feel like I need to make a pot to remind myself of how good it can be. Hmmm…..cold potato leek soup is Vichyssoise…good for hot day. Hmmmm

Anyway….enough of that. Today after church we stopped outside to partake in a fundraiser and ate brats and burgers. Boring, and I was crabbbbbbbbyyyy!!! Blech! It was like I had sprouted horns and claws!! Yuk!! I did not want to get up this morning, much less do anything, but we had the day planned already and my mood just didn’t want to cooperate. Afterwards we went to Mike’s mom’s for a visit with her sister that I have never met. It was fun, but I fought the crabbies on and off, and just wanted to curl up and take a nap. I had a yummy scone though. That helped. Food always helps. Mike said he would make the burritos for dinner as we were driving home, then somehow seemed to think that making the tortilla dough was enough and went to do other things. Once I reminded him of his promise we had dinner on the table within 20 minutes, but it was another notch in the crabbbbbbbbyyyyyy belt I was wearing. Yikes, I hope I can sleep tonight, that is one remedy that allows me to get rid of that nasty Sybil-like part of my personality. The burritos were yummy, we have a tortilla grill that we cook the tortillas on and I make my wonderful guacamole. We cook soy crumbles with taco seasoning, spread the tortilla with shredded cheese, chipotles, rice and the crumbles, dollop the guac all over it and then shred cilantro over that. A meal for the fists. Not authentic by any means, but surely delish for a crabby day. Tomorrow is grocery shopping and food planning. That should help knock the ol’ crabbies outta the park!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home