Kate in the Kitchen

Food talk, delicious ramblings and the evocative fare of a passionate cook

Friday, June 30, 2006

You're never too old to know more

And wow….is there ever a lot to know! The more time I spend groveling around the ‘net looking at food sites, the more I realize what a infant I am in terms of what I know. But hey, we all start somewhere, right? I have no inspirations to become the master of anything, I don’t have a claim to gastronome-status, I won’t ever pretend to be a food snob and I don’t like to think I am an authority on any subject. I can cook, and I can do it well and that’s all that matters to me. I have seen what can be only be described as cyberspace fisticuffs over differing opinions, and I don’t get it. I read with amazement and disbelief a post on chowhound about what constitutes the world’s greatest cuisine. It was like people got MAD because someone else didn’t think the French were worthy of being bestowed with this honor. What does it matter?? Like I said in an earlier post, it’s only food, and 24 hours after you eat it, regardless of what kind of food it was, it all ends up in the same place.

The questions I want people to think about when they eat is this: Does the food touch your soul or just fill your stomach? Do you choose your meals based on what it will taste like? Do you actually TASTE the food as you eat it? How does it affect you, what does it make you feel like and how do you feel after you’re done? Food should stimulate and inspire. Outside of being a means to stop those tummy rumblings, it should nurture you and satisfy more than just your hunger. If you’re just mechanically moving a fork to your mouth without thinking about how the food really makes you feel, then you could be missing out on one of the best experiences in life. While I understand that some people simply don’t care (yikes….get that soapbox away!! Could it be one reason why our country is in a health crisis with overeating!? Eeeek…..get off that thing now!!) but I think that there should be more awareness of what can happen when you begin to really appreciate what goes in your mouth and what can happen to your body when you put good food in it. An amazing transformation can take place. I hope that by writing about it that people will start to see how good food can change your life, and I don’t mean gourmet, fancy or anything like that. I just mean quality ingredients, prepared well and enjoyed deeply. There just doesn’t have to be anything more to it than that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home